Human Nature

I have been in Mexico two weeks today. I truly love this tropical paradise. The food is good, the locals are kind and I am feeling good here. It seems that the tropics make my body and mind hum. A major insight from my year of travel is just how much an environment impacts how you feel. And, we all have a personal spectrum when it comes to where we thrive. I am wondering how much thought and energy you have put into this for your own life? And more importantly, are you taking the steps to move towards your ideal environment?

Actually, my mind does experience bits of haziness as I attempt to reopen its Spanish speaking files. It's been about 8 years since learning Spanish and since then I have dipped my toe into learning Italian and French. Just this year I was tidying up my anglophone roots while studying to teach English as a foreign language as well as being immersed in French while living in Montreal. I am not fluent in Spanish, Italian or French and when I attempt to speak any of them my mind sometimes jostles to find the right words. I am happy to report this situation always seems to happen around the forgiving and fun folk who are happy to help me out. Sometimes it makes for a real good laugh.

Last night we decided to take a cab home. One of the many cars pulls up to us, my girlfriend converses in Spanish to negotiate a price with the driver, (she's such a show-off!) and we hop in. My love suggests I take the front seat as she slides into the back. To our surprise, the driver is listening to Human Nature by Michael Jackson. Usually there is festive Mexican music playing which always sets the scene for a good time out in Playa.

I am usually comfortable being with others in those moments of silence when no one talks, yet sitting in the front seat had me feeling the urge to chat with the driver. And so I dared, I asked him if he liked Micheal Jackson, "gustaria Michael Jackson?" He smiled sheepishly and answered si. His smile didn't go away. I knew something was up, why was it so funny? Doesn't everyone like Michael Jackson? I then feel a pat on the head followed by soft strokes as my girlfriend reveals with a loving smirk that I just asked the driver if he wanted Michael Jackson. Our giggling, from all three of us, lasted until the end of the cab ride.
Ay caramba indeed.